But these crucial people often feel disconnected.
“We weren’t aiming for the top,” says one supply-chain manager, “but we had ability and ambition … and we felt ignored.”
Front-line managers often are thrown into a leadership role without knowing how to manage people or where to go for advice. At best, they might get a one- or two-day seminar with no follow-up.
Unfortunately (for them and us), first-level leaders need to understand the whole organization, yet they rarely are let in on the big picture.
Every one of your front-line leaders should be able to answer “Yes” to these questions:
- “Do I have the basic skills to stay on top of our day-to-day business? Do I have the tools I need to do this job?”
- “Am I aware of our organization’s direction? In other words, do I understand our strategic thinking?”
- “Do I understand that our brand is more than a logo—that it actually represents our values, the role we play in the community and our ability to enter new markets?”
- “Do I have the skills and support I need to face our leadership challenges? Meaning, can I be the kind of person I need to be in this job?”
- “Do I receive enough support from the organization to make the right choices about my life and work? Does it support my growth and its own?”
— Adapted from “Developing First-Level Leaders,” Andreas Priestland and Robert Hanig,” Harvard Business Review.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/7433/front-line-managers-are-leaders-too "