On the positive side:
- The orchestra’s creative spark is strong. Interpretive ideas arise from within the ranks, not from one person in charge.
- People are more willing to assume leadership roles.
- Individual talents bloom. Some members have learned so much from playing in Orpheus that they now conduct other ensembles on the side.
On the negative side:
- The orchestra spends more time rehearsing than other groups.
- It takes more time to hire new members, because most of the musicians become involved.
Still, it often results in better hires.