In fact, if your parents claim the standard deduction instead of itemizing, they get no income tax benefit at all from home ownership.
Strategy: Consider buying your parents’ home. Then, lease it back to them at the going rate. That way, they can tap into the built-up home equity without moving away.
And you’re able to reap the tax rewards of renting the house.
For starters, the sale can put some much-needed cash into your parents’ pockets. And little or no income tax will be due on the sale, thanks to the giant home-sale exclusion. The tax law allows an individual to exclude tax on th...(register to read more)
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies
- Former broker files whistle-Blower suit following fraud investigation
- Deflecting cupid's arrow: Should you even try to prevent interoffice dating?
- With DOL on the prowl, it's time to check your OT practices
- Feel free to impose legitimate discipline, even if employee is out on FMLA leave