Fill out Form SS-8 (Determination of Worker Status) and send it to the IRS. You can obtain the form at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf.
Put your best foot forward. If you show that you exert a great degree of control over the worker, he or she is likely to be labeled as an employee. But the odds are in your favor if you have little or no control over the worker’s duties.
Tip: Workers can also file Form SS-8 on their own behalf. For workers, it may be more beneficial to be classified as an employee to receive
- Mandatory Off-Site Counseling Sessions May Be Paid 'Work Time'
- Shopping for voluntary benefits? 5 'must ask' questions
- Study insurance policies for legally hazardous exclusions
- Another reason to enforce violence policy: To avoid workers' compensation liability
- Manage health, retirement spending with employee education