Our advice: Don’t surrender quickly if the IRS challenges your worker classifications. It’s an uphill battle, but you can prevail if you have a legitimate gripe and you stick to your guns. Here’s some ammunition for your battle ahead.
What’s at stake?
When a worker is classified as an “employee,” you must withhold federal income tax and the employee’s half of Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA) from the paycheck.
Even worse: You must pay the employer’s half of the FICA tax and the federal unemployment tax (FUTA). Finally, you must issue a Form W-2 for the employee’s wages earned and send a copy to the I...(register to read more)
- NLRB orders Anderson Lumber to negotiate with Teamsters
- Don't conspire with competitors to freeze workers out of a job
- If pieceworker has downtime, you must pay at least minimum wage for those hours
- Crack down on association discrimination—especially if there are threats of violence
- Radical change to worker's schedule lets him win unemployment benefits