Our advice: Don’t surrender quickly if the IRS challenges your worker classifications. It’s an uphill battle, but you can prevail if you have a legitimate gripe and you stick to your guns. Here’s some ammunition for your battle ahead.
What’s at stake?
When a worker is classified as an “employee,” you must withhold federal income tax and the employee’s half of Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA) from the paycheck.
Even worse: You must pay the employer’s half of the FICA tax and the federal unemployment tax (FUTA). Finally, you must issue a Form W-2 for the employee’s wages earned and send a copy to the I...(register to read more)
- Bill would ban demanding access to Facebook, Twitter accounts
- Gov't workers with free speech claims can charge retaliation
- Restaurant owes back wages; owners wrangle over who pays
- No respite from tax on Social Security benefits after age 66
- Potential for class-action pay lawsuit could be lurking in your food delivery fees