Follow these seven steps to ensure full compliance under the final regs:
Step 1: Identify arrangements that provide a deferral of compensation. This requires employers to:
- Identify service providers covered by the rules (e.g., staff, independent contractors, board members).
- Identify arrangements that are deferrals of compensation.
Caution: Grandfathered status is lost if the arrangement is materially modified after Oct. 3, 2004.
Step 2: For each arrangement, decide between removing the deferral of compensation feature and complying with the rules. The deadline for making and documenting this decision is Dec. 31, 2007.
Tip: Weigh the benefits of providing deferred compensation against the costs of compliance and exposure to penalties.
Step 3: Design each arrangement to comply with the basic rules (i.e., restrictions on deferral elections, funding and distributions). Decide whether to adopt various special exceptions to the rules, which provide certain advantages but make plan administration more complex.
Step 4: Develop and implement policies and administrative procedures.
Tip: Designate someone to have ultimate responsibility for developing policies and procedures and for ensuring that they are followed.
Step 5: Prepare a written plan by Dec. 31, 2007. Under the final regs, the written plan must specify the terms as of Jan. 1, 2008, but is not required to specify the terms for the period prior to Jan. 1.
Step 6: Obtain service-provider elections as to time and form of payment by Dec. 31, 2007. But be aware that some elections result in noncompliance with the rules. Examples:
- An election in 2007 to postpone a payment that would otherwise be received in 2007.
- An election in 2007 that would cause a payment to be made in 2007 that would otherwise not be made in 2007.
Tip: Review the plan operations to determine whether violations have occurred and take appropriate actions.
Contact your tax pro for assistance.
—Adapted from AccountingWeb, Inc., www.accountingweb.com.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 11 tips to help dads balance work and family
- Survey: Employees like current health benefits, are open to ACA exchanges
- Can we make employee pay cost of lost BlackBerry through payroll deductions?
- Will making contractors wear our uniforms affect their independent contractor status?