Does your business need trustworthy and reliable employees? You may not have to look any further than across the dinner table.
Strategy: Hire your spouse to work for your company as an official employee. Why put your spouse on the ? Because you can gain six tax benefits:
1. Build up tax-favored funds for retirement
If you meet the tax-law requirements, your company can deduct contributions made to a qualified retirement plan on your spouse’s behalf. The annual limits are quite generous. For instance, if your company has a defined contribution plan, you can deduct contributions up to 25% of compensation or $45,000, whichever is less, for 2007. The contributions accumulate tax deferred until withdrawn.
With a 401(k) plan, another dollar limit applies: Your spouse can defer up to $15,500 to the plan in 2007 (plus an extra $5,000 if he or she is age 50 or older). Your company can match those contributions who...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies
- Immigration law: How to walk the line with the I-9
- Independent contractor or employee? How to make the call
- 'Same-actor' defense won't always work; establish unbiased reasons for firings
- How the web is won: 4 ways to convert surfers into buyers