The IRS has announced it will renew its approval process for companies wanting to switch from traditional pension plans to cash-balance plans. (IRS Notice 2007-6)
Under the Pension Protection Act of 2006, plans created after June 29, 2005, generally won’t be considered discriminatory against older workers if benefit accruals will continue after the switch. But the new law doesn’t provide absolute insulation from employee lawsuits. The IRS announcement ends an eight-year hiatus for application approvals.
- Promoting employees from rank-and-file to boss? Make sure their training includes retaliation
- Accommodating a driver who can't drive
- Discipline worker who complained of bias--if warranted and consistent with past practice
- Class actions exploded in '08, employers continue to pay the price
- Tortoise to hare: EEOC speeds resolution of bias cases