How to give savings bonds to charity — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

How to give savings bonds to charity

Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax,Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Q I own some older EE bonds that will mature in a couple of years. Can I avoid income tax on the bonds by transferring them to a charitable trust? G.M.V., Atlanta

A No. Series EE U.S. Savings Bonds are taxable in the year they are redeemed or mature. Essentially, transferring the bond ownership to a charity will result in tax on the interest accrued to that point. However, if you desire to benefit a charity, you can then arrange for a gift of the proceeds when the bonds mature. The resulting tax deduction can offset part or all of the tax liability.

Tip: You may also recognize tax benefits by arranging to leave U.S. Savings Bonds to charity through your estate.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: