The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) reports that bias complaints by Muslim workers increased by 18% in 2007, reaching a record 452 cases. Complaints by Muslim job applicants also rose by 34%.
Nearly 80% of all civil rights complaints to CAIR last year came from nine states, including New Jersey. The others were California, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas and Virginia.
- When employee complains of bias or harassment, beware acting in ways that look like retaliation
- Use harassment hotline? Keep detailed records
- When reorg will cut older worker's position, consider offering reassignment to other jobs
- Tell supervisors: No stereotyping based on national origin
- PNC's policies for mothers earn a mix of praise and scorn