Q. We doon our employees. Is there a restriction on how many years we can go back on the employee?
A. North Carolina does not regulate background checks. Thus, there is no state law limiting the length of time covered by a.
However, if a company relies on long-ago events to deny employment, an employee could argue that this was merely a pretext not to hire him or her, and that impermissible discrimination based on race, sex, national origin, etc. was the true reason.
Also, remember that background checks are regulated by the federal.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Use business necessity as rationale for pre-Employment exams
- Cracking down on internal theft problem? Be sure to handle criminal checks properly
- What legal hoops must we jump through if we conduct background checks on applicants?
- Negligent hiring: Take proper steps to avoid the costly pitfall