Q. We doon our employees. Is there a restriction on how many years we can go back on the employee?
A. North Carolina does not regulate background checks. Thus, there is no state law limiting the length of time covered by a.
However, if a company relies on long-ago events to deny employment, an employee could argue that this was merely a pretext not to hire him or her, and that impermissible discrimination based on race, sex, national origin, etc. was the true reason.
Also, remember that background checks are regulated by the federal.
- What are the basic rules for conducting background checks that pass legal muster?
- What should we know about running credit checks on job applicants?
- It's time to review your criminal history screening practices
- Worker's criminal past won't immediately get discrimination case tossed
- ChildNet could have used 'Dragnet' detective work