Q. We doon our employees. Is there a restriction on how many years we can go back on the employee?
A. North Carolina does not regulate background checks. Thus, there is no state law limiting the length of time covered by a.
However, if a company relies on long-ago events to deny employment, an employee could argue that this was merely a pretext not to hire him or her, and that impermissible discrimination based on race, sex, national origin, etc. was the true reason.
Also, remember that background checks are regulated by the federal.
- Background Check Guidelines: How to comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and avoid lawsuits
- Take a proactive approach to prevent workplace violence
- Lack of screening did not prove negligence in truck accident
- Before we start background checks, should we start asking applicants for birth dates?
- Negligent hiring: Take proper steps to avoid the costly pitfall