Q. We doon our employees. Is there a restriction on how many years we can go back on the employee?
A. North Carolina does not regulate background checks. Thus, there is no state law limiting the length of time covered by a.
However, if a company relies on long-ago events to deny employment, an employee could argue that this was merely a pretext not to hire him or her, and that impermissible discrimination based on race, sex, national origin, etc. was the true reason.
Also, remember that background checks are regulated by the federal.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- When making reference-check calls, take and retain good notes
- Learn from the big dog's mistake; check applicants' crime records
- Employee lied about criminal convictions on application? That's a firing offense
- States putting new limits on background checks