Terri Vaughn, finance director for the Yeadon Borough Council, has filed a sexual harassment and retaliation complaint with the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission and the EEOC, alleging that council member Terry McGirth kissed her inappropriately on numerous occasions, and that the council failed to address her complaints.
According to the complaint, McGirth tends to greet co-workers with handshakes, hugs and occasionally a kiss on the cheek. Over time, those pecks turned into inappropriate kisses, Vaughn claims.
Finally, Vaughn grew so irritated she asked him to greet her “as though your wife were here,” the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. Co-workers began giving Vaughn “McGirth alerts” so she could busy herself whenever he entered the building.
Vaughn formally complained in June 2008, but she says the borough did not investigate.
- Little things can add up to discrimination and harassment
- Justice Department Settles First USERRA Class Action Suit
- Feelings of exploitation, 'e-overtime' lead to rise in wage lawsuits
- Use consistent hiring, firing processes to knock down age discrimination claims
- The top 10 safety and health violations of 2011