Terri Vaughn, finance director for the Yeadon Borough Council, has filed a sexual harassment and retaliation complaint with the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission and the EEOC, alleging that council member Terry McGirth kissed her inappropriately on numerous occasions, and that the council failed to address her complaints.
According to the complaint, McGirth tends to greet co-workers with handshakes, hugs and occasionally a kiss on the cheek. Over time, those pecks turned into inappropriate kisses, Vaughn claims.
Finally, Vaughn grew so irritated she asked him to greet her “as though your wife were here,” the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. Co-workers began giving Vaughn “McGirth alerts” so she could busy herself whenever he entered the building.
Vaughn formally complained in June 2008, but she says the borough did not investigate.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Discrimination, retaliation alert: Beware bending promotion rules case-by-case
- Employee has used all FMLA leave? Assess disability status before terminating
- The disappearing executive and his disappearing back trouble
- New pension law creates extra duties, questions for HR