Q. Can an employee waive coverage under workers’ comp laws?
A. Generally, no. Workers who qualify as independent contractors can sign agreements acknowledging that they are not covered employees. Also, certain corporate officers and shareholders can waive coverage. Otherwise, coverage is mandatory.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Proposed model COBRA notice pushes health insurance exchanges
- 'Trilogy of Care' helps keep health care employees engaged
- Employer-paid health insurance is largest tax break
- Hiring independent contractor? Be prepared to document that he's not an employee