A group of contract janitors at Park Meadows Mall in Littleton walked off the job in September to protest unfair labor practices by the Millard Group, which provides cleaning services to malls owned by General Growth Properties (GGP). The walkout was part of a national protest by workers at more than 20 GGP malls.
The janitors have been working for more than a year to organize through the Service Employees International Union.
In charges filed with the National Labor Relations Board, the workers say the Millard Group subjected employees who supported the union to illegal surveillance, intimidation, reduced hours and, in some cases, termination.
- Stretch your budget with 5 benefits-on-a-shoestring tactics
- Follow basic rules for job descriptions, interviews to avoid hiring bias
- It's your right to demand good performance—even from employees who take FMLA leave
- Undocumented workers aren't eligible for unemployment
- Reprimand, mandate training to cut bias liability