A group of contract janitors at Park Meadows Mall in Littleton walked off the job in September to protest unfair labor practices by the Millard Group, which provides cleaning services to malls owned by General Growth Properties (GGP). The walkout was part of a national protest by workers at more than 20 GGP malls.
The janitors have been working for more than a year to organize through the Service Employees International Union.
In charges filed with the National Labor Relations Board, the workers say the Millard Group subjected employees who supported the union to illegal surveillance, intimidation, reduced hours and, in some cases, termination.
- New York towns may discipline cops outside terms of union contract
- Set up systems to prevent employee sabotage
- Make training for managers an essential part of your sexual harassment policy
- Run handbook by counsel to make sure it doesn't destroy at-Will status
- Job descriptions: Craft with precision to avoid bias risk