Snagging the best admins today means going beyond your local paper’s classified ads.
More than half of employers find it challenging to recruit skilled professionals because of a lack of qualified staff and the higher cost of recruiting, reports a recent CareerBuilder.com survey. Gen Y workers are the most difficult to recruit, perhaps because of high expectations centering around pay, flexible schedules and overall work environment.
One solution to help build the admin ranks: Go to local universities and community colleges and strike up relationships with faculty members directly. Why?
• They’re influential. Because faculty members also serve as advisors, they help students decide which companies they should interview at and what job offers they should take.
• They can identify top talent. They know whether a student has the competencies you’re seeking.
• They recruit early. Need a steady stream of interns? College faculty members can identify and steer potential interns your way.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- How to Write Meeting Minutes
- How to draft a legal drug testing policy
- Use this simple rule when interviewing: If it could be a slur, don't say it
- Don't base hiring decisions on applicants' childbirth plans
- Escape IRS penalties with tax adviser's help