2. Never get boxed into a corner. Leave yourself a clear path to break free if necessary.
3. Listen during introductions and make sure you properly hear someone’s name.
4. Treat a VIP like a friendly boss. Make smart, observant comments and then pose questions.
5. Emphasize key points by speaking slowly. Don’t launch into a rushed sales pitch.
6. Need some information or a favor from a peer? After exchanging pleasantries, come right out and ask for it. Don’t dawdle.
7. Pretend you’re enjoying yourself. Even if you’re bored or tired, don’t let it show and don’t talk about it.
8. Never eat. Chewing and networking don’t mix.
9. Keep your hands away from your face. No eye rubbing or hair fixing.
10. To enter a conversation, piggyback on what someone says by agreeing and then adding a fresh, relevant fact.