First, verify the applicant’s identity by collecting a visual identification. Then send a copy of the applicant’s photo and a written reference verification form to prior employers. Run a Social Security number trace through a commercial credit bureau to confirm that the name and home address tied to that Social Security number match those given by the applicant.
You can also refer to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services publication, Social Security Number Fraud Investigative Guide, to check the correct data on the applicant’s Social Security number. Lastly, conduct a by hiring a private investigator or vendor such as Pinkerton’s Inc. or Avert Inc.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Creating a drug-free workplace: How to draft a policy, conduct legal tests
- Put HR firewall between those who hire, handle complaints
- Interviewing internal candidates: Ask, don't assume
- What do workers want? Studies show staff/boss disconnect