Walsh recently co-wrote Semper Fi, in which he relates his experiences in the military to his business career. Even though it has been nearly 30 years since his days in the armed services, he still applies those lessons.
WS: What’s the No. 1 lesson you took away from your Marine Corps experience that has helped you in business?
Walsh: To lead by personal example. It doesn’t always work, because the example you set in a specific instance may not be the best every time. But in a larger sense, how you talk to people and carry yourself sends a message. For example, if you’re the first in and last out of the office, that alone is going to motivate your employees.
WS: Are there differences in what it takes to advance in the Marines vs. i...(register to read more)
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- How to Write Meeting Minutes
- Office Organizer: Small biz tips on file organizing, record retention and email management
- Lost in translation: Remind foreign managers about U.S. age discrimination laws
- How to know when you're way too plugged in
- The light within them