WS: As the owner of several pro sports teams, it’s your job to hire winning coaches and managers. How do you pick your hires?
Colangelo: I look for people who are comfortable exercising responsibility. I don’t want employees bogged down by fear of trying and fear of failing. When I’m interviewing job candidates, I try to recognize the various gifts and skills they possess. I think about how those gifts can be used on the job, and to what extent their strengths match what I think we need.
WS: But with so much of your money at stake paying players’ high salaries...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette
- You're liable for bias--even against temps
- Do you have a 'No lying' policy? It could be a legal lifesaver
- Sometimes, you have to trust a jury to make the right decision
- Horrible Bosses: 6 ways to build back employees' trust