How do you run a stealth campaign to become CEO? I have three rules: Never volunteer your failings; always follow through quietly; and use others’ ignorance to your advantage.
Kick yourself in private
You make self-deprecating comments to colleagues. You assume modesty will soften your hard edges and disguise your ambition. It won’t.
Bragging is a mistake, too. The best strategy is to produce superior work, period. Don’t characterize it. There’s no need to give color commentary on what a great or lousy job you’re doing every day.
If you realize you’ve got a weakness that holds you back, never volunteer it. If your boss mentions it in a , acknowledge ...(register to read more)
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette
- Light a Fire Under Slow-to-Discipline Supervisors
- Office Politics: Need to correct the VP's mistake? Go through the admin
- Manager's Checkup: How well do you handle crises?
- A good deed punished: Voluntary FMLA leave can become a mandate