WS: How do you bring opposing sides together?
Dean: You have to assume people don’t have a bad motivation from the start. That may be hard to do if you’re up against an adversary and you think the worst of him. I’m not naïve. I know people will fight for their side and sometimes act up. But I’d rather give people the benefit of the doubt and see their nasty or inappropriate behavior as a sign of fear or insecurity.
WS: Does that make it easier for you to accept?
Dean: Yes, because I don’t take it personally. I can move past their behavior and focus on the issue at hand.
WS: How do you prepare to nego...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Wage gap widens between men, women managers
- Cut back on employee tax perks for transportation
- What are the pay rules when we have to close because of an emergency?
- Even though we have no employees, do we still need workers' comp coverage?