1. State your goals in terms of what you want to do, not what you want to stop doing. Example: You’ll be more successful if you get up 15 minutes earlier every day, rather than vowing to “stop being late to work.”
2. Scale down a lofty goal to a daily to-do. Example: Your overall goal may be to sharpen your . So your daily No. 1 task should be to spend 15 minutes reading a best-seller or e-newsletter that focuses on communication.
Tip: Do it at the beginning of the day, so it doesn’t get pushed aside for more pressing tasks.
3. Write down the goal every day, and put the paper on your wall.
Bruce Wexler, the neuroscientist and author of Brain and Culture, found that children have brains that can easily change, but adults are more hardwired. Changing behavior takes more intense mental power than you might think. Writing down a goal takes only a minute, but, amazingly, it will bolster your resolve.
4. Plot each night how you’ll meet your goal the next day. Example: Is your goal to take a brisk walk every day? Then give some thought to how you’ll arrange tomorrow’s to-do’s around that one 30-minute walk. If you simply assume you’ll “get to it sometime,” chances are you won’t.
5. Check in with friends who “match” your new desired behavior. Why? People who don’t change their behavior tend to justify it by saying that it’s socially acceptable, according to Cindy Jardine, professor at the University of Alberta who studies public health. So travel in circles where the behavior you want to change is not accepted.
Studies show that, for women, talking about a goal out loud actually helps them meet it. Men, meanwhile, are more motivated by seeing they’ve reached measurable benchmarks.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/6469/you-can-achieve-any-goal-in-5-steps "