If a disaster ever broadsides your career, apply these five strategies:
- Fight, not flight. Face the situation and fight the battles that restore your reputation, not those that mire you in retaliation.
- Recruit allies. Help colleagues who suffered collateral damage in your catastrophe.
- Rebuild your heroic stature. Explain the context that led to your problems and accept the responsibility.
- Prove you’re still a hero. Stand on your professional feet, and show that the problem did not destroy you.
- Discover a new heroic mission. Find a new vision and a new mission. It’s the best way to transcend disasters.