Stop throwing the same solutions at your employee absentee problem. Reason: Per-employee absence costs have reached an all-time high of $789 this year, up from $610 just two years ago, according to an annual survey by CCH Inc. Andtends to peak from December to March, thanks largely to the flu and holiday seasons.
Although the employee absenteeism rate has actually declined a bit over those two years, direct expenses related to those no-show employees has jumped dramatically. Direct expenses include costs for overtime and replacement workers.
"Employers have been clinging to traditional sick leave policies and disciplinary action for years. But the status quo is costing them more each year," warns CCH workplace analyst Lori Rosen.
Top reasons for unscheduled absences: Personal illness (33 percent), followed by family issues (24 percent), personal needs (21 percent), stress (12 percent) and entitlement mentality (10 percent).
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Same-sex marriage: Know the impact on policies, benefits
- Restrict FMLA leave info to those who need to know
- Two laws, one condition: ADA disability doesn't necessarily warrant FMLA leave
- Is early termination OK when employee who is on FMLA submits her resignation?