Stop throwing the same solutions at your employee absentee problem. Reason: Per-employee absence costs have reached an all-time high of $789 this year, up from $610 just two years ago, according to an annual survey by CCH Inc. Andtends to peak from December to March, thanks largely to the flu and holiday seasons.
Although the employee absenteeism rate has actually declined a bit over those two years, direct expenses related to those no-show employees has jumped dramatically. Direct expenses include costs for overtime and replacement workers.
"Employers have been clinging to traditional sick leave policies and disciplinary action for years. But the status quo is costing them more each year," warns CCH workplace analyst Lori Rosen.
Top reasons for unscheduled absences: Personal illness (33 percent), followed by family issues (24 percent), personal needs (21 percent), stress (12 percent) and entitlement mentality (10 percent).
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Continue benefits status during military leave
- Warn managers and supervisors: You may be personally liable for discrimination!
- FMLA: How can we be sure employee must care for her grandchild?
- Does the FMLA cover intermittent leave for in vitro fertilization?