About a third of an employee’s desire to stay or leave an organization depends on trust, the study shows, but only one in five employees strongly trusts an organization’s top leaders.
These five aspects of trust, in order of importance, are the study’s best predictors of loyalty:
- If I shared work problems with my direct boss, I know that he or she would respond constructively.
- My direct boss makes smart decisions.
- My direct boss is honest and truthful.
- My direct boss helps me grow and develop professionally.
- I receive consistent direction from my direct boss.
—Adapted from “Building Trust in the Workplace,” Leadership IQ, www.leadershipiq.com.