Then he went on to rally his troops in a very structured way:
- He reminded them of who they were. He said they were Americans, and that Americans always want to be the best and win.
- He told them they were a team who would fight together.
- He assured them they would have the courage to go into battle and win because of who they were.
- He set out a simple goal: not to hold their positions, but to advance.
- He expressed confidence in their abilities to get the job done.
—Adapted from Patton on , Alan Axelrod, Prentice Hall.