- “I want you to disagree with me just as I will disagree with you.”
- “There will be times when I can’t approve an idea that you bring to me or to another member of our team. I will always try to explain why I have done that. In most cases, it will be because we lack the resources to put every good idea in motion. Never feel that an idea that gets delayed is a dead issue. Bring it up again.”
- “Please tell me what you would personally like to accomplish, and let’s discuss how to make that happen.”
- “In your first days and weeks, you will be in a unique position to notice what is working well here, and what is not. Can I count on you to bring those fresh insights to my attention?”
- Also explain how the reporting chain works. If your new hire’s supervisor is not addressing a problem or concern, do you want to hear about it directly, or not?
Get weekly updates on breaking news and business advice to help you advance your career! The week's top stories and resources will be sent right to your inbox. Choose the topics you're interested in:
We value your Privacy.