The result: Sherwin-Williams and the other retailers that distributed her product lines never left her side.
Lesson: If a career disaster happens, don’t sit and wait for people to help you. Tell your side of the story forcefully, instead.
— Adapted from Firing Back: How Great Leaders Rebound After Career Disasters, Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, Harvard Business School Press.
- Warn about personal liability when conducting discrimination training
- Always have witness to entire termination process
- Beware overly broad drug policies, which could violate ADA rules about revealing a disability
- Document misconduct probe, just in case of lawsuit
- Dillard's faces age bias charges after firing in Cary