These days, the vice president of search products for the world’s largest search engine has a few observations about :
- Take the spark of an idea and make it real. In 2001, one of her researchers wrote a program to help him read the news after Sept. 11. The program collected news from his favorite 15 sites and organized it using artificial intelligence. After a few weeks, he offered it to his colleagues. Mayer was excited. That little program became Google News.
- Open your door, open the agenda. “One important thing about leadership is approachability,” she says, “people feeling they can come and talk to you about an issue.”
- Maintain approachability with consistency. “People want to know that when they send you an e-mail, they’ll get an answer back in a day,” she says. “When they call your cell phone, they want to know that you pick up or call right back. … I actually publish a set of guidelines for my team so they understand what to expect from me.”
- Wrestle with conflicting ideas. “I want people to come and challenge me, tell me that I’m wrong and show me the data or tell me why,” she says.
- Know your stuff. Mayer likes managing managers because she’s been there and understands their challenges. “When I ask them to do something,” she says, “I know roughly how hard it is. And I think that being able to relate to people on that kind of level helps you be a better leader.” She adds, “I’m still learning.”
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/6314/driving-the-little-search-engine-that-could "