Result: dysfunctional workers “with no discipline, no confidence in where they stood, lots of scheming and kvetching, backstabbing.” It went on for years.
The happy ending is that this manager quit . Everybody’s better off now.
Moral: You can’t fix what you can’t say is broken.
—Adapted from “Avoiding Conflicts, The Too-Nice Boss Makes Matters Worse,” Jared Sandberg, The Wall Street Journal.
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- HR cost-cutting moves: Your benchmarks for surviving the meltdown
- Establish zero-tolerance policy on violence and threats--but don't count on backup from courts
- Increase your value by helping to spot rising managers
- Study multiple reviews to identify best HR tech products