1. Has overly complex provisions for home office deductions. Many home-based small businesses miss out on a legitimate deduction.
Proposed solution: Simplify by allowing a reasonable, standardized deduction.
2. Has outdated rules for electronic business equipment. Many small firms forgo investment in new technology and lose their competitive edge.
Proposed solution: Allow taxpayers to deduct a greater portion without keeping detailed records.
3. Fails to accurately index the cost of business vehicles. Entrepreneurs can’t depreciate the true value of their vehicles.
Proposed solution: Allow small business owners with more than 75% business use of a vehicle to recover the true cost (with a price of at least $25,000) over five years.
4. Forces small businesses to use extended depreciation schedules. Entrepreneurs can’t recover costs in a timely manner.
Proposed solution: Allow small businesses to use shorter depreciation schedules in line with technological and market realities.
5. Requires self-employeds to pay taxes on health insurance premiums twice (as employees and business owners). Millions go without adequate (or any) health insurance.
Proposed solution: Allow self-employeds to deduct health insurance like large firms.
6. Limits business meal and entertainment deductions. Business meals and entertainment are important tools of entrepreneurs.
Proposed solution: Raise the small business limit for deducting business meals and entertainment from 50% to 80% or 100%.
7. Curtails investment in small firms. Long-term capital gains rate is practically the same as the rate for qualified small business stock.
Proposed solution: Restore incentives to prompt greater investment in small businesses.
—Adapted from AccountingWEB, Inc., www.accountingweb.com.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/6158/house-committee-targets-7-small-biz-tax-changes "