Strategy: Pay taxes through EFTPS even if you don’t have to. Although many small-to-midsize businesses are still exempt, the system is easy to use, fast and secure.
Originally, the IRS set up EFTPS for employers that routinely deposit more than $25,000 in taxes. But the agency scaled back this requirement. Currently, your business must use the electronic method if it has aggregate tax deposits of more than $200,000. Also, the IRS requires that all start-ups use EFTPS.
The IRS bases the $200,000 threshold on the aggregate taxes paid for the 2006 tax year. This figure includes employment taxes, corporate income taxes and corporate excise taxes.
Why should you use EFTPS? Consider the following benefits:
- Make your tax payment via the Internet or telephone.
- Access EFTPS directly to report your tax information at least one calendar day in advance of the due date.
- Keep funds in your account until the indicated date.
- Receive immediate acknowledgment of your payment instructions. Your bank statement will confirm when payments have been made.
- Initiate your tax payment 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Schedule tax payments in advance (up to 120 days in advance for businesses) as an added convenience.
- Change or cancel scheduled payments up to two business days in advance of the scheduled payment date.
- Use EFTPS to make all federal tax payments, including income, employment, estimated and excise taxes.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/6145/flick-the-switch-on-filing-electronic-tax-deposits "