Q. How long should I keep employment-related records, such as wage information and personnel files?
A. There are many records retention requirements under the numerous laws that govern the workplace. In Ohio, however, the limitations period for filing a discrimination claim under state law is six years, so the safest practice is to keep employment-related records for at least that long.
- Do we have to release employee files in response to a subpoena?
- How should we handle inquiries about age that we need to conduct background checks?
- Look beyond SHRM for help in education, training
- Handbooks 101: 4 guidelines to follow, 5 policies to include
- Company Records: What to do when no requirements exist