Woodmere Village in northeastern Ohio has settled an EEOC lawsuit with two police officers who claimed they were fired because they are white.
Amy Mengay alleged the predominantly black village failed to promote her from probationary status to regular officer and then terminated her in 2004 without a hearing because of her race. Mengay will receive $125,000. Timothy Ellis, also terminated in 2004, will receive $31,250.
A lawsuit by a third officer who claims he was suspended for supporting Mengay and Ellis is awaiting trial.
- Steamed at Maxwell House, employee wins reinstatement
- Leave this ugly legacy for the history books: Warn bosses against any reference to nooses
- Diagnosis just start of ADA assessment process
- Investigate even 'frivolous' complaints
- Government employers get some backup: You're free to harshly punish harassers