Woodmere Village in northeastern Ohio has settled an EEOC lawsuit with two police officers who claimed they were fired because they are white.
Amy Mengay alleged the predominantly black village failed to promote her from probationary status to regular officer and then terminated her in 2004 without a hearing because of her race. Mengay will receive $125,000. Timothy Ellis, also terminated in 2004, will receive $31,250.
A lawsuit by a third officer who claims he was suspended for supporting Mengay and Ellis is awaiting trial.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- FMLA, FLSA, ADA and more: The 10 employment laws every manager must know
- Punish offenders to set example that prevents harassment
- Now hear this: You'll pay for firing worker out on health leave
- Will lawsuit help Six L's learn lesson on bias?