Woodmere Village in northeastern Ohio has settled an EEOC lawsuit with two police officers who claimed they were fired because they are white.
Amy Mengay alleged the predominantly black village failed to promote her from probationary status to regular officer and then terminated her in 2004 without a hearing because of her race. Mengay will receive $125,000. Timothy Ellis, also terminated in 2004, will receive $31,250.
A lawsuit by a third officer who claims he was suspended for supporting Mengay and Ellis is awaiting trial.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Boeing flying low following EEOC harassment settlements
- Consider ADA needs, FMLA requests separately
- Call lawyer ASAP if your last-chance agreements require employees to give up Title VII rights
- Feds push back deadline for reporting payments to Medicare beneficiaries