Are HR professionals in tune with their employees' wants and needs? Not exactly, suggests a survey of more than 1,000 employees and HR professionals by USA Today and the Society for Human Resource. Main finding: While HR believes employees crave solid workplace relationships, employees are really focused on tangibles like benefits and job security.
Here are the top three things employees rank as "very important":
1. Job security (65 percent).
2. Benefits (64 percent).
3. Communication between employees and management (62 percent).
Here's what HR professionals think workers need to be satisfied on the job:
1. Communication between employees and management (77 percent).
2. Recognition (62 percent).
3. Relationship with boss (61 percent).
- 'Pig' kept right on working; hospital going straight to court
- What to do when the grapevine topic is you
- Warn managers: Even years later, acting against whistle-blower can be retaliation
- Should we now be using the new I-9 Forms to document worker eligibility?
- What do we need to know before implementing a mandatory dress code?