1. Salary budgets at U.S. organizations increased by an average 3.9% in 2008. What’s the forecast for 2009?
a. Smaller increases
b. Larger increases
c. The same
2. Oct. 20-26 is national Drug-Free Workweek (www.dol.gov/workingpartners). What percentage of American workers does the U.S. government estimate are current illicit drug users?
3. What percentage of employees say high gas prices and worsening traffic are causing them to consider a job change?
4. What ranks as the worst office fashion faux pas, according to a Monster.com survey?
c. Visible undergarments
5. Employers with 100 or more employees must file an Employer Information Report (EEO-1 Form) each year with the EEOC by which date:
a. Sept. 15
b. Sept. 30
c. Oct. 15
6. Federal wage & hour laws (minimum wage, overtime, child labor, etc.) are governed by what law?
a. The U.S. Employment Standards Act
b. The Fair Labor Standards Act
c. The Fair Standards & Labor Act
7. A new study estimates that the number of illegal immigrants in the United States fell from 12.5 million to 11.2 million in the past year, mainly due to:
a. Increased workplace enforcement
b. Weakening U.S. economy
c. Tighter border controls
Sources: 1. WorldatWork survey; 2. DOL; 3. BusinessWeek Research; 4. Monster.com; 5. www.eeoc.gov/eeo1survey; 6. DOL; 7. Center for Immigration Studies.
Answers: 1. C 2. B 3. A 4. C 5. B 6. B 7. A
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Hiring independent contractor? Be prepared to document that he's not an employee
- Lessons from the 2006 SHRM conference: Metrics: Track each employee's 'Baseball card' statistics
- RIF? Make sure layoff decision-makers don't know workers' FMLA status
- Worried promotion might fail? Take a chance anyway