Quick quiz: If you hire temporary employees, what does your contract with the temp agency say about performing
Too many employers don't know. They assume a temp agency wouldn't send someone with a criminal background.
Don't make that mistake. Ensure that your temp agency properly screens applicants before they step foot on your property. Obtain those assurances in writing.
Also, when considering temps for permanent jobs, treat them just like any other candidate. Run them through the same reference and background checks.
Recent case: After working for 90 days as a temp
Over the next two years, Rodriguez em-bezzled $1.3 million from the organization.
The tech company sued the temp agency for negligence, saying the agency failed to check the temp's references. The problem: The temp agency contract said nothing about checking references.
As a result, the court sided with the temp agency, saying it didn't owe the employer any duty of care that wasn't stated in the contract. (Vtech Communications, Inc. v. Robert Half Inc., No. C00-1827CV; A117619, Oregon Ct. App., 2003)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- National Guardswoman fights for promotion and wins
- When documenting hiring processes, be sure to track rejected job offers, too
- Asking applicants about prior lawsuits is asking for trouble
- Help a rookie manager, and create an ally for life