California's public pension fund (CalPERS) will pay $250 million to settle an age discrimination case with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the largest single-lawsuit settlement in EEOC history.
More than 1,700 retired California public-safety workers joined the case, which alleged that the employees were discriminated against because their disability retirement benefits were reduced in proportion to their age when hired. Bottom line: Take this as clear evidence that the EEOC aggressively targets age-bias enforcement.
- Promote harmony, prevent hostile environment by adding civility policy to your handbook
- Case against Schwan's heats up as court backs EEOC
- Categorize reasons why you impose employee discipline
- Independent investigations by HR remove bosses' biases
- Crude, foul-mouthed manager can easily spark a lawsuit