California's public pension fund (CalPERS) will pay $250 million to settle an age discrimination case with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the largest single-lawsuit settlement in EEOC history.
More than 1,700 retired California public-safety workers joined the case, which alleged that the employees were discriminated against because their disability retirement benefits were reduced in proportion to their age when hired. Bottom line: Take this as clear evidence that the EEOC aggressively targets age-bias enforcement.
- What you should absolutely, positively NOT say in a performance review
- Supreme Court allows retaliation suits under Civil War-Era law
- Woman awarded $500,000 for sexual harassment, alleged rape
- Michigan's Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act
- Employee making threats? Know how to legally handle explosive situation