Reason: With the economic upsurge generating more hiring, it may become a "buyer's market" again. So you'll need to show your best cards to win the star applicants. That's why many large and small businesses are beefing up their work/life perks, according to a survey by Mellon Financial Corp.'s Human Resources & Investor Solutions unit. For example, the survey says 81 percent of businesses now offer flextime, up from 32 percent in 1996. Family sick leave,and compressed workweeks are also rising.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Lessons from the 2006 SHRM conference: Break free of schedule to think strategically
- 'Overqualified': Legit phrase or lawsuit bait?
- What are the new FMLA rules affecting federal employees?
- Track discipline to counter claims of discrimination