Reason: With the economic upsurge generating more hiring, it may become a "buyer's market" again. So you'll need to show your best cards to win the star applicants. That's why many large and small businesses are beefing up their work/life perks, according to a survey by Mellon Financial Corp.'s Human Resources & Investor Solutions unit. For example, the survey says 81 percent of businesses now offer flextime, up from 32 percent in 1996. Family sick leave,and compressed workweeks are also rising.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Beware last-ditch efforts to claim FMLA leave
- Exception to the rule: You can ask internal and external applicants different questions
- Bank of America wields 'big, fat stick,' Merrill brokers say
- Abercrombie settlement: a lesson in hiring for 'looks'