Reason: With the economic upsurge generating more hiring, it may become a "buyer's market" again. So you'll need to show your best cards to win the star applicants. That's why many large and small businesses are beefing up their work/life perks, according to a survey by Mellon Financial Corp.'s Human Resources & Investor Solutions unit. For example, the survey says 81 percent of businesses now offer flextime, up from 32 percent in 1996. Family sick leave,and compressed workweeks are also rising.
- Don't count on vague leave language to limit care for employees' family members
- Feel free to expand candidate search even if your policy favors hiring from within
- What managers need to know about hiring
- Continuation medical coverage and small North Carolina employers
- Getting out from under an office bully