If job candidates approach you with a written report attesting to the validity of their résumés, don't stop yourthere. New online services, such as ChoicePoint Inc. and a service from CareerBuilder, promise to do such quickie , which applicants can then pass along to prospective employers as proof of their legitimacy. Such services verify basic résumé information and do a national criminal file search, but they don't check past employment. Bottom line: Do your own background checks. Such services put the control of information in the applicants' hands, not yours.
- Background Check Guidelines: How to comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and avoid lawsuits
- States putting new limits on background checks
- EEOC: Company illegally used credit, criminal records
- Conducting background checks that comply with the FCRA
- Workers gone wild ... and the lessons to be learned