If job candidates approach you with a written report attesting to the validity of their résumés, don't stop yourthere. New online services, such as ChoicePoint Inc. and a service from CareerBuilder, promise to do such quickie , which applicants can then pass along to prospective employers as proof of their legitimacy. Such services verify basic résumé information and do a national criminal file search, but they don't check past employment. Bottom line: Do your own background checks. Such services put the control of information in the applicants' hands, not yours.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- That's not a contract! Feel free to make hiring contingent on passing background check
- It's the truth: no lie-detector tests
- Feds turning up heat on HR background checks
- Unsuccessful applicants have rights regarding criminal background checks