If you're an owner/executive of a C corporation, it's time to sit down with your tax adviser to see if your compensation passes IRS muster.
Reason: Part of the IRS' rejuvenated audit effort (see story below) includes a new program to measure compliance and target abuses related to executive compensation. As a result, IRS auditors will pay more attention to compensation arrangements of business owners and top
The IRS is red-flagging the following five forms of compensation. That doesn't mean they're off-limits; it just means you should expect the IRS to examine them closely this year and in upcoming years. With that in mind, you may need to restructure the deal.
1. Nonqualified deferred compensation. In particular, the IRS will eyeball the timing of deductions for deferred amounts. The agency wants to make sure that the deduction has been postponed until the employee recogniz...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies
- How to handle a star who breaks the rules
- Follow this path to college financial aid
- Don't just ban smoking on-Site; help employees quit
- Gelb's change aria is drawing ovations