• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Contribute stock to IRA?

by on
in Small Business Tax,Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Q: I recently acquired stock in a closely held company. Can I contribute the stock to my IRA? P.A., Hermosa Beach, Calif.

A: Tax law clearly says that contributions to an IRA must be made in cash (IRC 219(e)(1)). It doesn't matter whether the stock is publicly traded or not. Of course, you have the option to sell the stock and contribute part or all of the proceeds to the IRA (up to $3,000 or 100 percent of earned income, whichever is lower), but you must then recognize a gain or loss for tax purposes.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/5673/contribute-stock-to-ira "

Leave a Comment