Barbara Tomlinson, a former judicial assistant, has filed an age and disability discrimination charge against Hillsborough County Judge Joelle Ann Ober. Tomlinson worked for Ober for 11 years before quitting in February.
Tomlinson, 63, said three knee replacements, a hysterectomy and uterine cancer forced her to take an 11-month medical leave. The lawsuit claims that Ober kept Tomlinson’s job open but, on Tomlinson’s return, repeatedly questioned whether she was healthy enough to work.
Ober’s attitude became intolerable, Tomlinson says, finally driving her to give up her job and take a position at a lesser salary—with Ober’s ex-husband, State Attorney Mark Ober.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Call lawyer ASAP if your last-chance agreements require employees to give up Title VII rights
- Quick action cuts sexual harassment liability
- Aim high! You can strive for a more diverse workplace without breaking the law
- Train managers to adopt poker face when facing complaint