Barbara Tomlinson, a former judicial assistant, has filed an age and disability discrimination charge against Hillsborough County Judge Joelle Ann Ober. Tomlinson worked for Ober for 11 years before quitting in February.
Tomlinson, 63, said three knee replacements, a hysterectomy and uterine cancer forced her to take an 11-month medical leave. The lawsuit claims that Ober kept Tomlinson’s job open but, on Tomlinson’s return, repeatedly questioned whether she was healthy enough to work.
Ober’s attitude became intolerable, Tomlinson says, finally driving her to give up her job and take a position at a lesser salary—with Ober’s ex-husband, State Attorney Mark Ober.
- New state law adds 'Military status' to protected classes
- When employee requests religious accommodation, be sure to consider all possible options
- Refusing hair-sample drug test trims firm's bank account
- EEOC offers best practices to prevent caregiver discrimination
- EEOC charges? Don't break off conciliation too early