Barbara Tomlinson, a former judicial assistant, has filed an age and disability discrimination charge against Hillsborough County Judge Joelle Ann Ober. Tomlinson worked for Ober for 11 years before quitting in February.
Tomlinson, 63, said three knee replacements, a hysterectomy and uterine cancer forced her to take an 11-month medical leave. The lawsuit claims that Ober kept Tomlinson’s job open but, on Tomlinson’s return, repeatedly questioned whether she was healthy enough to work.
Ober’s attitude became intolerable, Tomlinson says, finally driving her to give up her job and take a position at a lesser salary—with Ober’s ex-husband, State Attorney Mark Ober.
- Service-related health problem seems minor? Employee might still have ADA disability claim
- Your dollars at risk: 6 ways to protect yourself from personal liability
- Insensitivity alone doesn't create a hostile environment
- Does Ohio law prevent employers from giving honest job references?
- EEOC on age bias: Update on 'reasonable factors other than age'