Barbara Tomlinson, a former judicial assistant, has filed an age and disability discrimination charge against Hillsborough County Judge Joelle Ann Ober. Tomlinson worked for Ober for 11 years before quitting in February.
Tomlinson, 63, said three knee replacements, a hysterectomy and uterine cancer forced her to take an 11-month medical leave. The lawsuit claims that Ober kept Tomlinson’s job open but, on Tomlinson’s return, repeatedly questioned whether she was healthy enough to work.
Ober’s attitude became intolerable, Tomlinson says, finally driving her to give up her job and take a position at a lesser salary—with Ober’s ex-husband, State Attorney Mark Ober.
- Want to 'fire' your way out of problems with troublesome employees? Think again
- Judge dismisses race bias complaint against college
- Show fairness by documenting all rule violations, discipline
- Bad news: You're going to be sued--Good news: Be fair and you'll win
- Ohio EEO official's motto: 'Do as I say, not as I do'