The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) has filed suit against Catherine Ellingen, owner and president of Plywood Industries in Roseville, over violations of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
The lawsuit claims Ellingen kept employees’ health insurance contributions and used the money to finance ongoing company operations from January 2006 through July 2007. The DOL seeks to permanently bar Ellingen from serving as a fiduciary to any ERISA-governed plans. It also wants her to repay the contributions, plus interest.
- HR handles all transfers? Beware ERISA violation risk
- Solidify an independent contractor's status by proving he turned down employee job offer
- Lessons from the 'Undercover Boss'
- How to work with GINA--the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
- 3M will steer retirees off its health plan, into Medicare