Q. We’re a small company and have never had an
A. Handbooks are not required by law. However, they are a good place to record your harassment/EEO policy, (if you have at least 50 employees, you are covered by ), and general employment policies such as at-will employment.
Handbook provisions can be enforceable as contracts, so make sure the terms are clear enough that a third party could determine what they mean, and then make sure you comply with them.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Demand medical information before considering employee's accommodation request
- What's the Correct HR-to-Employee Ratio?
- No need to reinstate if disability leave extends past FMLA
- Public employers aren't immune to FMLA reinstatement requirements