Q. Does Colorado require severance pay if companies do layoffs?
A. No. No state or federal law requires severance pay. However, if companies voluntarily adopt such a plan, then it may be enforceable. If a company decides to offer severance pay, it should consider whether to require employees to sign a waiver-and-release agreement in exchange for the severance pay.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Warn employees of the dangers of dipping into 401(k) funds
- The gloves are off: Haitians win lawsuit against landscaping firm
- HR, IT must work together: Document when, why computer systems crashed
- One-sided arbitration agreement won't fly in Texas