Q. Does Colorado require severance pay if companies do layoffs?
A. No. No state or federal law requires severance pay. However, if companies voluntarily adopt such a plan, then it may be enforceable. If a company decides to offer severance pay, it should consider whether to require employees to sign a waiver-and-release agreement in exchange for the severance pay.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Can we terminate manager who violates nonfraternization policy?
- Top 5 mistakes employers make and how to avoid them
- Inadvertent segregation? Be able to explain why
- Texas Supreme Court clarifies: It's not age bias if new worker is older than the original