Champion Window of Pittsburgh has agreed to pay $100,000 to settle a race discrimination lawsuit brought by the EEOC.
Former employee Martell Waite, who is black, said the company refused to give him the same tools, benefits and assistance it gave to white workers in the same position.
When he complained about racially offensive language and discrimination, the company demoted him and, finally, fired him.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Pregnant employee? Make every effort to accommodate temporary restrictions
- Sometimes, employees just need thick skinsâ€”co-worker snubs aren't retaliation
- In court, consistency is key: Prepare to justify all deviations from company rules
- Merely transferring employee to same or similar position isn't grounds for lawsuit