Q. We granted an employee
A. No. The Act is an amendment to Title VII, the federal civil rights act, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions. However, the PDA does not cover leave for child care. The employee’s only legally protected leave entitlement is under the FMLA.
- What managers need to know about the FMLA: 7 essential points
- No-fault attendance alert: Think twice before firing FMLA-eligible employee
- DOL issues new FMLA poster: Get your free copy here
- Need to fire someone with known medical issues? Be prepared to prove your good faith
- Make sure employees know your policies on moonlighting