Q. We granted an employee
A. No. The Act is an amendment to Title VII, the federal civil rights act, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions. However, the PDA does not cover leave for child care. The employee’s only legally protected leave entitlement is under the FMLA.
- Know your ADA responsibilities for employees with cancer
- Employee reporting medical problems that could warrant FMLA? Get more details
- Warn bosses: Keep concerns to yourself if employee's pregnancy doesn't fit project schedule
- Know the FMLA rules: You must allow intermittent leave before women give birth
- Don't mess with FMLA's leave restrictions