Only 29% of U.S. workers classify themselves as fully engaged in their jobs, says a recent Gallup poll. The others are floaters or have completely checked out.
Disengaged employees have lower productivity, higher , provide poor customer service and hurt the bottom line.
Advice: Don’t think you can pick them out of a lineup. Employees usually become disengaged long before they start showing obvious signs. By the time you spot the symptoms, employees may already be job searching or have left.
Many organizations conduct periodic surveys to check the pulse of their work forces. Surveys can accurately measure engagement, but only if they include the right questions.
If you’re creating your own survey, use some of the following 17 questions that go to the heart of the issue:
- Does the organization motivate you to do your best job every day?
- Does your job offer you a chance to show what you do best?
- Does working at this organization give you a feeling of job satisfaction and achievement?
- Does your supervisor care about you as an individual?
- Do you believe that seriously considers your suggestions?
- Did you have opportunities to grow and learn over the past year?
- Do you know the mission of the organization?
- Do you feel your job is important to the mission of the organization?
- Are you satisfied with how often you receive praise or recognition for doing a good job?
- Do you get as much access as you need to managers and supervisors?
- Do you know what your supervisor expects from you?
- Do you feel you have the support you need to do your job correctly?
- Does the organization help you identify career development needs and improve skills with training?
- Has a supervisor or manager talked with you about your career in recent months?
- Do you believe your co-workers are dedicated to doing quality work?
- Do you have a close friend at work?
- Would it take a lot for you to leave this organization?
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/5132/17-questions-to-determine-if-workers-are-fully-engaged "