A federal jury found the Florida Department of Corrections guilty of condoning sexual harassment by male inmates in its Martin Correctional Institution.
Fourteen women, including nurses and a doctor, were awarded $630,000 for harassment they endured from 1999 through 2002. Evidence showed male inmates routinely exposed themselves, shouted obscenities and performed lewd acts in front of them.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Don't wait for disabled to ask: Accommodation is two-way street
- Quick settlements encourage more suits; sometimes you have to trust a jury
- Will egg farm have to scramble to defend EEOC suit?
- Overwork, rudeness don't create hostile environment