A federal jury found the Florida Department of Corrections guilty of condoning sexual harassment by male inmates in its Martin Correctional Institution.
Fourteen women, including nurses and a doctor, were awarded $630,000 for harassment they endured from 1999 through 2002. Evidence showed male inmates routinely exposed themselves, shouted obscenities and performed lewd acts in front of them.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Listen for code words when evaluating discrimination complaints
- The hard truth by "Z": When employees become legal schemers
- Tell managers: Don't require employees to speak English
- Consider uniform, ADEA-compliant severance and rights-waiver releases--even if age isn't factor