A federal jury found the Florida Department of Corrections guilty of condoning sexual harassment by male inmates in its Martin Correctional Institution.
Fourteen women, including nurses and a doctor, were awarded $630,000 for harassment they endured from 1999 through 2002. Evidence showed male inmates routinely exposed themselves, shouted obscenities and performed lewd acts in front of them.
- Discovered hostile environment? Fix the problem, ensure there's no repeat ... and rest easy
- Padding your reasons for firing can build case against you
- Use statistics early to blow shaky lawsuits out of water
- The best way to end hostile environment suits: Train bosses what to do when worker complains
- Managers: Never presume 'What's best' for employees